Didn't file an income tax return because you can't find your tax information?

If you still didn't file an income tax return by yesterday (April 18th) the extended filing deadline, because you've moved recently and can't find your documents, or just can't find your tax documents because they are probably hiding under that pile of papers on your desk, why wait any longer - start contacting the companies that report your income (your job, unemployment agencies, brokerage houses etc.) to send you out another copy.   It will take some time, so take action.

Tax Tip: Late filing penalty

Did you know that the penalty for filing late is usually 5 percent of the unpaid taxes for each month or part of a month that a return is late. This penalty will not exceed 25 percent of your unpaid taxes.   Filing an extension by the due date (this year April 18th) avoids this late filing penalty.   Remember though, the extension to file is not an extension to pay.

No need to pay that penalty if you can avoid it by filing an extension for free.
"No matter who you are, making informed decisions about what you do with your money, will help build a more stable financial future for you and your family." Alan Greenspan