Should I Pay My Taxes With Plastic?

Source: SmartMoney.com

By Bill Bischoff
March 5, 2008

WORRIED ABOUT HOW you're going to pay your tax bill? It might be tempting to slap it on plastic. After all, you've probably heard you can charge taxes due on your 2007 federal income-tax return on your Visa, MasterCard, Discover Card or American Express. What if you want a filing extension? No problem. You can just charge what you expect to owe the IRS. And if you owe estimated taxes for tax-year 2008, you can charge those, too. In fact, in many states, credit-card payments are available for your state income-tax bill as well.

Clearly, charging your taxes is convenient. And with the right card, you can even rack up some extra frequent-flier miles or other goodies to boot. So what's wrong with this picture?

The "convenience fee," that's what. It amounts to a hefty 2.49% of the amount you charge. This is in lieu of the fee that merchants pay credit-card companies when you charge your purchases. Only in this case, the "merchant" is the Internal Revenue Service, and Uncle Sam isn't interested in turning 2.49% of his revenues over to the card companies, which means you have to pay it. Until now, you may have been blissfully ignorant of these merchant fees, but you will become painfully aware of their bite when they come directly out of your own hide. The money is collected by one of the two vendors that facilitate these transactions (Official Payments Corp. and Link2Gov Corp.), and split with the card issuers.

Granted, paying $9.96 for the convenience of charging a $400 tax bill to your credit card isn't really a sin. But what about paying $124.50 on a $5,000 tax bill? And in addition to that, your friendly credit-card company steps up and starts charging you interest (often at 13% or more annually), unless you pay off your bill within the grace period. Bottom line? You can probably find a better way to dig up the money to foot the bill.

Our suggestion? Try to find other (less expensive) ways to raise the cash needed to pay your taxes. Perhaps your credit union, your parents or your rich brother-in-law. Also, don't overlook the IRS itself. You may qualify to set up an installment payment plan with the government. If so, this may be the cheapest way to go. You'll be charged a $52 setup fee (assuming you arrange for automatic payments out of your checking account) and then a monthly interest rate on the outstanding balance. Currently, that interest rate is 0.833% per month (which equates to 10% annually). However, the interest rate is subject to change every quarter. File IRS Form 9465 to get that ball rolling.

Of course, if you have a credit card with a low APR — say 5% or less — this could turn out to be the cheaper option. That is, provided you really do pay off your tab in a reasonable amount of time (i.e., before that introductory rate jumps up to something much higher). If so, visit officialpayments.com or pay1040.com to process your payment.

Attn: Customer Service
1755 Broadway
2nd Floor
New York, NY 10019

No comments:

"No matter who you are, making informed decisions about what you do with your money, will help build a more stable financial future for you and your family." Alan Greenspan